Sunday, April 6, 2008

Yes, I Am a Holy Roller!

I grew up in the days when it was an insult to be called a Holy Roller. Most people could not understand what freedom of worship was all about. Today much of the world has embraced the notion of worshiping God in a more visible and active manner but there are those who cannot understand the concept. Having worshiped in this way all my life, I cannot imagine worshiping in any other way.

Psalms 150: 4
4Praise him with the timbrel and dance: praise him with stringed instruments and organs.

Psalm 100

1Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.

2Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.

3Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.

4Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.

5For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations.

The purpose of worship is to magnify and glorify God. There is no other reason for worship. I am a fan of Jesus Christ. I have no problem getting radical about proclaiming my affection and admiration for the King of Kings. America is a country of fans. People plan their lives around the Super Bowl. They plan tailgate parties, they set aside the entire day with special menus, and some of them decorate their bodies in the chosen colors of the team they love. No one thinks this unusual behavior, and they laugh tolerantly while these people have a great time and display the love for their team. This is team spirit and considered a good thing. Well, I have no problem with watching people have a good time and worship the teams and celebrities they adore. However, as I stated earlier in my post, I am a fan of Jesus Christ. I love him and worship him. So the next time you call me a Holy Roller, remember who I am...a child of the King and proud of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive